Monday, September 19, 2016

The Weekend of Beer.
















While today was spent cleaning, doing laundry, and chopping lots of vegetables and cooking for the Whole 30, (which I did start today), the weekend was spent having fun. Brewier and Megan both took off work Friday, and we drove and hour and a half, to Franklin NC. We used to visit this town when Megan and Jessica were little, and have fond memorries of gem mining out in some guys field. I've been wanting to take Oliver mining since we moved here, and now at five years old, he's the perfect age. Things have gotten fancied up in the past 25 years, with a shaded sluice box, and zip lock bags for your found treasures. I found mostly small garnets, Brewier found a couple of rubies, Oliver found lots of big quartz pieces.
After a hot morning of mining, we visited a new brewery in Franklin, Lazy Hiker. I'm slowly working my way through the regional breweries. Saturday was the Brewgrass Festival, and we had a great time. Lots of good music, with the highlight for me being the bluegrass rendition of, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" along with 60 breweries for your tasting pleasure. We didn't even make it halfway through, before deciding it was a good time to stop sampling. Yesterday, we took it easy, recovering from all of the festivities. Thursday was the real highlight of the week. Friends messaged us to see if we wanted to join them at our local brew and view, to watch the cult classic, Hot Fuzz. I haven't been in a movie theater for 14 years, but Megan told me it was all hard surface, (no febreeze-ing) and had good air circulation, so I gave it a try. I'm am still giddy about the fact I stayed for the whole movie, and got to spend the evening with friends...and becasue it's a brewery, Asheville Brewing, I got to check another beer joint off my list.

No comments: