Friday, October 16, 2015

The Whole 30 So Far

I'm finishing up my third week with the Whole 30, eating plan. I've lost 10 pounds so far, and am experiencing a big difference in my skin texture; it's so soft, and is no longer dry and flaky! I've never been hungry, or had any cravings, but I think part of that is due to the fact I take magnesium daily. (Low magnesium levels cause you to crave chocolate.) What I've missed is coffee with half and half; it's the first thing I will add back into my diet. I tried drinking it black, but I'm no psychopath; have you read that article? There are recipes for coconut milk coffee, but I'm allergic to all nuts. Unfortunately, many of the recipes for whole 30 foods, have nuts or coconut in them, so I've been pretty limited in what I can eat. I've also come to realize, that while cruciferous vegetables are my favorite, my body strongly disagrees with my tastebuds, so I'm eliminating those.
For me, the hardest part has been not being able to go out and eat with my visiting friends and family, becuae that is what I do for entertainment. I've had house guests for a week, and just had to explain that I can't eat anything I don't cook. I'm so grateful for Megan taking over all the cooking while Jessica and Ray are here, so I can focus on making Brewier and I our meals; yes, he's doing it with me <3 After three weeks, I need to find some new things to cook. I wasn't sure I would be disciplined enough to follow this plan, but avoiding insulin shots very motivating. My intention is to continue this as a lifestyle, with only occasional cheats, like on my birthday, as I've already planned to have Prossecco and popcorn. I did accidentally eat some sugar last week. I had bought, organic dried cranberries at Trader Joes, to put in my chicken salad. I made sure to buy a package, that did not say, "sweetened cranberries," but I didn't read the ingredients. After eating the chicken salad, I felt SO. SICK. Yeah, it was that tiny amount of sugar on the fruit; a real eye opener. These are not Whole 30, but just because I can't eat treats, doesn't mean I've stopped baking.

1 comment:

September said...

Wow - those are beautiful.
This summer I combined a pedometer goal of 10,000 steps a day (I average 3000 with my desk job) and the virgin diet and pretty quickly lost 20 pounds. Had to work much harder for the next 10 after lightening up on the virgin diet. Anyways, it's basically an allergist diet to figure out what's inflammatory...it was terrific. Not sure if it would interest you but I've been reading your blog for so long that I thought I would speak up. And PS I still have the beautiful pink rose pin you made for a blog giveaway and I still love it. :)