Wednesday, December 03, 2014

But Where are the Gingerbread Houses?

I grew up with a mom who made gingerbread houses every Christmas. Elaborate, fragrant, two story, delicious tasting houses, like you would find in Germany. So when Brewier, Oliver and I went to the Grove Park Inn to see the National Gingerbread House Competition, I was expecting some pretty spectacular entries. What I saw were firetrucks, elves, dogs, and the like, that could pass as ceramic figurines. And while well executed, I saw not a trace of gingerbread, and nothing looked edible. My moms' houses would have blown these away.


This was the closest thing to a gingerbread house.


The Grove Park itself was decked out in it's Christmas finest, with decorated trees everywhere.







This afternoon we took a walk down the hill and found a birds nest, along with a bright yellow dandelion, which Oliver requested a photo off because, "It's so beautiful, Maemae!"



We said hello to the horses.


And threw rocks into the creek.


Brewier taught Oliver how to crack hickory nuts, and black walnuts, and get the meat out...which Oliver immediately ate.


And while they did that, I updated my craft blog for the first time in two years!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

The trees were pretty, but those are sorry excuses for Gingerbread houses! Hahah. In San Francisco, they do these GIGANTIC ones that are gorgeous in on of the big hotels. They are made by chefs in the area, and look like child sized play houses or bigger!