Monday, November 17, 2014

While I Was Gone.

Megan and Oliver have been sick, then Brewier got sick the day after we visited Ray and Jessica. Actually, by the end of our hike with them, he was feeling pretty bad, and he's still sick. Megan has been working her business, and I've been trying to work on embroidered pillows from my Etsy shop. I say trying, because keeping up with Oliver, cooking, laundry and cleaning, means I don't get the chunk of time I need to work on things.
I awoke today, to rain, grey skies, and lots of wind; so, pretty much a perfectly cozy Monday in my book. I made Martha Stewart's recipe for granola cookies, for breakfast. Elizabeth made, and posted a picture of them on her blog a couple of weeks ago, and since then, I've made them four times. Really, really good.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup packed light-brown sugar, I cut this back to 1/2 cup
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, I use King Arthurs gluten free flour.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup rolled old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds, I use chia seeds. No grinding needed.
1/2 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
3/4 cup large unsweetened coconut flakes
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup dried cherries or cranberries, I've used dried blueberries too.

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat oil and brown sugar in a bowl on medium speed until well combined, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined. Stir in remaining ingredients until well combined. Refrigerate dough until firm, about 1 hour.
Drop heaping tablespoons of dough, 2 inches apart, onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until golden, rotating sheets halfway through, 13 to 14 minutes. Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack before removing from sheets. Cookies can be stored at room temperature up to 2 days.

Coffee and crafting this morning.


Ahhhh, I love my grey wall. I also love living in the woods. It means I can go outside and cut down branches and vines to make arrangements with. Bittersweet, the perfect autumn plant. Everything looks so much better against a color that has a bit of grey in it.


That's the arrangement against a creamy yellow wall, and here it is against my grey wall.


I've admired this pillow from Pottery Barn for a couple of years now, and today, tried to replicate it...with the assistance of Oliver.



I think I'll give it another try, next time I have some alone time.

The saga of my dresser.
I ordered the terribly expensive knobs from Anthropologie; they were to be my birthday present, since I returned the handbag. The knobs arrived quickly, and were returned just as fast. They were beat up, with chipped mother of pearl, and looked awful. I wrote Anthopologie, explained why I was returning them, and that I felt I shouldn't be charged for shipping since they were damaged. Eleven emails later, I'm hoping they got it straight. Customer service is really lacking.
I found some knobs at World Market, that I thought would work, but along with being a bit too shiny, they have a center, metal medallion, that is really sharp, and has snagged my clothing as well as my fingers. You guessed it, they are going back too.



I put the original, unpainted knobs back on, and think I will stick with them. I like the contrast between the paint and the wood.


This boy. He loves watching the coffee brew. More accurately, he enjoys figuring the mechanics of the coffee pot.




1 comment:

Linda Sue McKinney said...

much prefer the wooden knobs have a lovely Shaker look IMHO
like the Jingle bells concept for a pillow. Sorry to read about the spreading plague of feeling sick - I had the elephant on my chest for about 6 days and it is tiring,
nice update - thanks