Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Mona Lisa Smiles - My Bucket List Epilogue

Do you know the 2003 movie? Julia Roberts is a liberated, free spirited teacher at Wellesley, trying to get the women there to question, and break free from traditional female roles. Julia Stiles is a brilliant lawyer to be, who chooses to ditch her education and future career, marry the man she loves, start a family, and be a homemaker. The very disappointed Julia Roberts, hounds Julia Stiles, telling her she has a choice, she should go to law school, she doesn't have to be a homemaker. Finally, Julia Stiles, gets the headstrong and bewildered Roberts to understand that she is making a choice; being a homemaker is what she wants.
When I look back on my life, and what I've done, I've really had a lot of fun, and did things that I wouldn't have been able to do if I had job. I only get discontent and unhappy, when I compare myself to what society thinks as worthy, or successful...or when people ask me what I do. Thank you Cindi, for the encouragement, and reminding me how blessed I am.

Today Brewier and I drove to Greenville, SC, to visit the Apple Store and have my iphone battery replaced. It was a gorgeous day there; its always 10 degrees warmer than it is in Asheville. Because my phone/camera was in for repairs, I didn't take any pictures, but I do have this photo of Brewier from a couple of weeks ago. We were at a thrift store, where I'd been eying these silver plated bowls for over a month. I only wanted the smallest one, but they were being sold as a set, for $10. I bemoaned my dilemma to Brewier, asking him, "What am I going to do with a giant silver bowl?" His eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas, as he answered, "Fill it with candy!"

I took this photo after crushing his diabetic candy dreams, by declaring we would never have that much candy in the house.

1 comment:

Linda Sue McKinney said...

I join in Brewier's disappointment and grief - that would be a GREAT candy dish!