Thursday, August 14, 2014

I Like to Get High.

Megan has been working all week on editing over 300 of her Etsy listings, it's tedious, time consuming work. To make her day a bit easier, we whisked Oliver away to the mountains. Brewier and I had been planning a trip to Grandfather Mountain, and the mile high swinging bridge, and yesterdays weather was perfect. Well...in Asheville it was perfect. We drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping at Mount Mitchell so Oliver could experience the highest point east of the Mississippi. While I'm sure somewhere deep down inside he appreciated the views, what really had a memory making impact was climbing up some rocks along the path. Highlight of his day. Temperatures were in the 50's and it was a bit windy, up that high, but it was exciting, and very autumnal.





We weren't quite sure how to get to Grandfather Mountain, but Brewier said the Blue Ridge should get us there. Well, it wasn't getting us there fast enough, so I asked Brewier if we could get off and drive regular roads. Here's a bit of useful advice if you are ever in my neck of the woods. There is NO CELL SERVICE in the Pisgah National Forest, nor is there cell service through most of the mountains. My phone and its GPS were useless. We eventually found our way to Grandfather Mountain, only to be shocked with the $20 a person entrance fee. After our ordeal to get there, I wasn't about to turn around without walking on that swinging bridge; we were warned however, that there was a high wind advisory, and to be very careful, especially opening our car doors which could easily blow open and shut with great force. After a stop at the wild life exhibit, and smashing pennies, (Yay!) we drove to the top of the mountain. It was 59 degrees and the wind was blowing at 40-50 mph, with gusts strong enough to blow a person off balance. Having always enjoyed extreme weather, I felt invigorated. Most of the other people visiting, did not share my enthusiasm, nor did they seem to be enjoying their walk across the swinging, (and because it was SO windy, singing and whistling,) bridge.





Looking down over the center of the bridge. Those things that look like bushes? They're trees.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I would love to be on that bridge, but only if it doesn't sway too much hahah. I once went on a similar bridge in Vancouver in Stanley Park, as a kid. I was terrified and couldn't wait to make it across super fast. As an adult, heights don't really bother me.

Those views are gorgeous by the way! I'm a mountain girl so I would love to stroll there!