Monday, May 20, 2013

House of Shame.

I love houses, decorating and making a home. As I kid, I devoured my moms interior decorating magazines, and would spend afternoons in our backyard among the tree roots creating multi-level homes and crafting furnishings from nature. I have always, for as long as I can remember, critiqued and redecorated homes that I walk into. I can't help it. Living in a rental makes decorating  hard, mostly because I know we will be in this home for only 9 more months and I'm already overwhelmed by the thought of making and moving yet again.  Did I mention I unpacked EVERYTHING?  I'd really like to decorate and make this house, "us," but don't want to spend money on things that won't work in our next, and most likely much smaller house. Here are some photos of our home. I haven't decorated...  I didn't even make the bed or tidy the house before taking them...I think I may be a bit depressed.

IMG_0742

Today I ordered some blackout curtains for my bedroom. I was torn between cream and grey. I went ever so bold and chose grey. Almost immediately I regretted it..  I'm an oatmeal and milk colored person.
Our new purchase. The most expensive bed in the world.  It's in the worlds smallest bedroom airing out, because latex is very smelly.

IMG_0740

The queen size bed takes up the entire room.

IMG_0741

Our empty dining room with moving boxes still in the corner.

IMG_0745

The sun room with our porch furniture in it.

IMG_0746

IMG_0747

The butlers pantry. Everyone should have one of these.

IMG_0749

IMG_0750

As large as this house is, we only really use the living room and kitchen, which is sad because there are so many beautiful rooms. We just really like hanging out together.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I was the same as a kid! I use to spend hours out in the field behind my house and dragging items out there to make little homes with quilts and little dishes :)

I hope the next place you find can have similar aspects to this house. I know how you feel since I've been there, but I believe you will find a great new home when the nine months is up.

Cindi said...

I would live in the sunroom.

I think you have accomplished so much, we have rented in this condo complex (which is lovely and on a beautiful lake) for three years. I have the living room done. Period. It helped that is the size of a pea. :-)

We are now in the progess of buying a unit here and for the first time in years, I'm getting excited about getting 'settled'.

I'm actually looking at dining tables so when we move to 'our' unit, I can finally pitch the TV trays. I miss gathering around a table but didn't want to invest in one while we were renting.

You would think I'm getting diamonds that is how excited I am over a purchasing a table. :-)

LindaSue said...

You have a real talent for making a home - that is an impressive house you are renting and making the areas your family actually USE comfortable is of paramount importance. I was even bolder than you (in black out shade choices) and went with taupe - yes I know - cutting edge color sense right?
Yes that is a very expensive bed - when we got our Sleep Science mattresses (two twin XL to make one king sized adjustable bed) we had to put the foam parts on our porch for two days - but I love that thing what comfort!

Deb said...

I also have a foam matress. I got it from http://www.myessentia.com/. There was no smell at all and we were able to sleep on it the first night it was delivered. Very expensive but so worth it. The only thing I don't like about it is it's so heavy (king size)and all one piece so it we ever move it will be very awkward to transport.

Elizabeth said...

LOVING this blog!!! I just moved into MY FIRST house on May 21st. I'm looking forward to thrifting for my new (double the size of my apartment) space!!! Consider me a follower!