Friday, April 12, 2013

I Put a Personal Ad on Craigslist.

It was entitled,"Fragrance Free Friend Wanted." Nobody replied. I looked at the personal ads placed by others, and it's mostly 20 somethings new to the area looking for people their own age. Then the other day I was reading an interior design article and it mentioned that Okcupid, though a dating site, was a good place to meet people and sure enough they have a box to check if you are looking for platonic friends. I checked the box,(Yes, Brewier knows all about my shinanigans,) and put in my profile that I was married, new to the Asheville area, and was not looking for a romantic relationship, just friends, male or female. I've received about 30 messages, all from men, most of who either did not read my profile, or thought I was kidding about being just friends. I've come to the conclusion that all the women my age already have friends and aren't interested in new ones. Sad sigh. Renee is coming to visit at the end of April. I may not let her go home.

5 comments:

Meghan Welch said...

Have you tried looking for any local groups on Facebook? That might be the ticket. :)

Brewier Welch said...

She has to avoid "groups". Someone always has on perfume, fabric softener, hair spray, etc.

Elizabeth said...

Really is too bad that we live on opposite sides of the country. I think we would have lots of fun. I don't wear perfume, nor do I use fabric softeners or anything scented. I find it very hard to make friends at our age as well. I have two girlfriends that are both born in 1973. I feel like I just don't relate to anyone my own age I guess.

LindaSue said...

sorry things aren't going well on the acquiring friends front - I am one of those awful perfume wearing, fabric softener using people so although I think we'd have a great time together - wouldn't want to cause you that kind of harm! OK will add that to prayer list - BTW - you are right - on anything approaching a dating or match up site - the men do NOT believe in platonic anything - most not even in dating - just hooking up (voice of sad experience here)

Gabeandjen said...

So sorry, it's really hard leaving friends and family behind when you move :( Any churches in the area that have an outdoor service? There's a few up here in Philly at this time of year.