Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I Need Some Help.

You know about my quest for a friend. Monday I was in our local health food store, standing in the check out line with two bags of broccoli, when another shopper comes up behind me and starts unloading her cart. I love seeing what other people buy, so I watched as olives, chocolate, wine, and coffee were put on the counter. I turned to the woman and said, "You are a woman after my own heart with olives chocolate and wine," we then started a friendly conversation, which sadly last only a minute or so because the cashier was anxious for me to pay for my vegetables. Heres the thing, this woman was my age, had no fragrance, and from our short conversation I think we would have hit it off as friends. I've regretted not saying anything to her about me being new here and looking for friends because I don't know how to do that and not sound desperate or creepy. So,if any of you could help me out with what to say in this situation, I'd be grateful.

I could also use help identifying this tree. I woke up one morning and it had gone from bare, to covered in these amazing pink flowers. I'm a whiz at tropical flora and fauna, but haven't a clue as to the beautiful plants here.

IMG_0477

7 comments:

Libby Ann Clark said...

This is a Flowering Cherry Tree. It doesn't bear fruit though. They are absolutely beautiful and are all over the western part of the state. Beware because your allergies will go crazy. Hope you are having a great day. Welcome to North Carolina.

Elizabeth said...

I've missed opportunities like the one you mentioned as well, but perhaps you will see her at the same store again, and that would be a great way start up a conversation again!

Yep, looks like a cherry tree.

Vickie said...

Just tell her your new to the area and maybe she could recommend......
and that's where I stop because I don't know what you would want her to recommend but something you're interested in. Maybe a fragrance free Dr. or store or restaurant. Hopefully that might start something.

LindaSue said...

Just give that 1000 watt smile of yours and say "I'm new to the area and you seem like some of my dear friends from Florida - could you recommend (whatever you think of). If She is at all interested in a friendship - it'll end up with yes I can and let's go get a cup of coffee and I'll give you the contacts off my smart phone?? or something like that - yes on the flowering cherry

LindaSue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabeandjen said...

We have the same tree in our garden up here in PA, we just love it :)

Cindi said...

Morning. Just a thought: Have you contacted the local assembly to see if they could send some unscented ladies your way?

http://ashevillegospelchapel.com

I would think if you explained the circumstances it wouldn't be hard for them to ask some of the women there to visit you without wearing scents, etc.

On this train for a long time today so will be praying for you that the Lord sends some terrific, funny and caring friend(s) your way.

greetings from England,
Cindi