Saturday, September 15, 2012

Retro Friday Saturday - Second Grade

What I remember about second grade...my teacher didn't like me much, which was odd because my kindergarten and first grade teachers did... I was pretty much teachers pet. I remember she had bad acne scars and a really nice wardrobe, and I wondered how old she was and why she wasn't married.
The school housed K-12, and my parents graduated from it in 1958, (they were high school sweethearts.)
Growing up we moved whenever my dad was promoted, so I went to 2 different grade schools, 2 different middle schools and 2 different high schools. I wasn't terribly shy until we moved the first time, to N.J. The kids were mean, and I've always been a bit different. Not a good combination.
As you can see from this picture, I've had allergies and dark circles under my eyes all my life. (Third row down, second from the left.) My mom made most of my clothes, but this pink dress, that I loved, came from a store and I was so excited to wear it.


IMG_4754

3 comments:

hilltopper said...

ya know, my 2nd grade teacher didnt like me either. i had trouble with math and she never was very helpful. mom says she hated that i didnt pay any attention to her while i was in class but aced all the tests and always had the right answer to her questions.

so i guess i have always been a smarty pants. :)

Elizabeth said...

At least your hair was longer than mine in second grade! Your daughter Jessica looks like you in this picture :)

Vickie said...

I too had a witch for 2nd grade. I literally thought she was because of black bouffant hair and crackly mean voice. She humiliated me in front of the class several times always about math therefore my hate of the subject started and stuck with me for the rest of my life.
I like your retro Fridays. I might borrow the idea.