Sunday, July 03, 2011

Old Friends.


Growing up I went to 6 different schools in 4 different states, (2 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, 2 high schools.) We weren't military, my dad was with a company that transferred us every time he received a promotion, and while there was a sense of adventure about living in a new place, it was always hard socially on me. Being extremely shy and not good at small talk, it would take a while to make friends, and I was always cautious about getting too close to people knowing I would be yanked away as soon as I started settling in.
I had two really good friends who I could talk about anything with, in my last year of high school. Jana, who was a little thing, just 5 feet tall and with a Kentucky accent so thick I thought for sure it was a put on when I first met her; and Keith, whose grandparents lived next door to us, and became dear friends of our family. Jana and I stayed close after our graduation in 1980, up until the time of her death in 1989. Keith, I saw a few times while he was in college, but mostly kept up with his whereabouts through visits with his grandparents.
Yesterday, after not talking to each other in nearly 30 years, we met for coffee at McDonalds. I was a bit nervous, but as soon as we started talking, it was just like we were in high school again. (Megan, it's just like you and your Keith.) Coffee lasted over 2 1/2 laughter filled hours, and Brewier just sat there with a smile on his face, watching his wife come to life.

keith and tricia

And on a note of vanity, do you see how much better I look not being in FL? My face isn't red and puffy, my hair doesn't look like I'm a chemo patient...I look and feel healthy despite the fact I'm eating food that normally makes me deathly ill.

6 comments:

Jane said...

I DID notice how fabulous you looked earlier when you posted this pic to fb.

Gotta say, I'm a little jealous by how young and happy and not bloated and de-wrinkled you look.

Are you sure we're the same age?
Even your teeth look amazing.

Mrs. Cheerio said...

I hadn't noticed that you ever looked red, puffy or like a chemo patient! You always look fabulous.

How wonderful that you could reconnect with your friend! That is amazing.

LindaSueBuhl said...

You do look marvelous - and your Brewier is a good man isn't he?

pk said...

Smiling ! Some friends are just in our blood !! And by the way thought before scrolling down to read your comment that you looked fab , yet , you usually do so....had to be just the extra happy quotient ?! Happy for your happy trip. You can go again , right ?!

pk said...

Smiling ! Some friends are just in our blood !! And by the way thought before scrolling down to read your comment that you looked fab , yet , you usually do so....had to be just the extra happy quotient ?! Happy for your happy trip. You can go again , right ?!

pk said...

Smiling ! Some friends are just in our blood !! And by the way thought before scrolling down to read your comment that you looked fab , yet , you usually do so....had to be just the extra happy quotient ?! Happy for your happy trip. You can go again , right ?!