Sunday, August 01, 2010

Why I Wanted to Live in NYC

Even at 10 I knew NYC was something special. There was always so much to see and do and I loved the energy. Museums, shows, street vendors, parks, great food, and the people...so many interesting people. Having loved fashion since birth, I always thought I would become a designer and live there.

As a really little kid I can remember watching Green Acres and thinking Ava Gabor was a fool to leave the city. This unfortunate television show ended up mirroring my own life, though I had no choice in leaving the city. I moved from the outskirts of NYC, to Dallas, Texas which I didn't even consider a real city. After two years in Texas my father was transferred to Kentucky, and we moved to the town of Perryville, population 800. I was 16, living in the middle of nowhere and I was miserable. I planned to escape the rural life when I left for college, and had an interview at an out of state design school. Those plans were waylaid when My father told me he had already filled out the paper work for me to go to college in Ky. I ended up living in Ky for a total 8 years, until Brewier and I moved to Florida, (where my parents were now living.) I never did get back to New York, not even for a visit.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I always wanted to try living there too. It's an incredible city full of energy but very expensive.

Corey said...

I think it would be awesome to live in a city like NY, work in an art museum and live in a high rise. *sigh*

Vickie said...

wow.. I want to go there but not sure about living there.
My goal was to go to Colorado and move there when I was 24... before Chuck.