Monday, May 10, 2010

Mothers Day.


It should came as no surprise that Brewier and I went to the beach. We left early and got there at 8:30. Its so nice to have the beach to ourselves. I had brought a long sleeve shirt to wear as sun protection, but ended up wearing it to keep warm. Despite the 80 degree temp, there was a cool wind blowing. I didn't realize just how strong a wind it was until after walking for 40 minutes, we turned around to go back and had to walk into the wind. It wore us out. By 10:30 we were hungry and ready to leave.

Thats me.

Photobucket

We found this house very intriguing. It was empty as so many of the homes are, because they are vacation rentals.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We loved all the windows, and can you believe, 3 decks! There appeared to be an outdoor kitchen on the top deck along with an outdoor fire place. While its not my style architecturally, I think I could force myself to live there.

We went to Publix and got subs and took the to a downtown park to eat. At the park is the foundation to an old mansion.

Photobucket

It doesn't look deep, but its a 7-8 foot drop.

Photobucket

After the park we drove through Deland and on to Orange City for a stop at Blue Springs park. Apparently we weren't the only ones to do that, as the park was full and there was a line of cars waiting to get in.
We decided to head to Sanford and I gave Sarah a call. She and John were at Johns parents house, so we stopped by and crashed their party. We sat outside in the beautiful weather and ate chips and salsa. I'd say that was my favorite part of the day.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Marissa said...

Oh I am fairly certain i could force myself to live in a house with an outdoor kitchen :-) Assuming it is in addition to an indoor kitchen of course. And the foundation to that mansion is very interesting. Any clue on the history? Is it OLD? Or just destroyed? Looks very cool to me. Glad you had a happy Mother's Day!!

megan said...

That is such cool looking house!

Brewier said...

The Turnbull Ruins, a coquina block foundation overlooking the Intracoastal, represents the colonization by Andrew Turnbull from 1766-1777. It's believed that he attempted to build his personal mansion on these coquina remains. A foundation of sea coquina block was set, but work was never completed. The true origination of the ruins is unknown, some theorized that they may be the remnants of a pre-colonial fort or a colonial church. Located at a main intersection on the river downtown. Old Fort and Riverside Park, New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168.

Linda said...

I like that house too. I think I would like any house on a beach.