Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Foray into Green Smoothies.


I want to eat healthy...I need to eat healthy; so I borrowed Sarahs Vitamix in order to make green smoothies, (only a vitamix can liquefy greens.) My first smoothie was pretty good. I used what I had on hand, which was a bag of spinach an apple, a banana and a few strawberries. As I was drinking it I found an article online saying how you should NEVER have a green smoothie using only spinach, that it creates indissoluble salts in your system. What does that mean anyway? Are they inside of me forever, or are they going to find an excruciatingly painful way to come out? So I went to Whole Foods and got some dinosaur kale. I like cooked kale, and kale is a powerhouse of nutritional benefits, and after trying to drink a smoothie made from it I've discovered its also a powerhouse of tanic bitterness. As I swallowed my first sip it felt like all moisture was sucked out of my throat and I could hardly swallow. I had sent a bottle of the pond scum smoothie to work with Brewier and hurriedly called his cell leaving a panicked message of, "DON"T DRINK IT!"
My throat still feels weird, even after eating a pop tart in attempts to counteract the smoothie.
I still want to try and drink green smoothies daily. Anyone have any tips for a palatable mix?

9 comments:

Jenn said...

I am sorry. But, that there was funny!

Linda said...

That looks truly disgusting. I've never heard of them myself.

Amy said...

Just eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Carrots and celery make good juice in a juicer (not a blender) but otherwise, vegetables are meant to be eaten, not drunk!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
megan said...

You took this with your old camera! For shame!

Kathleen said...

hee! i love that you ate a POP TART to counteract the smoothie.
hahahahaa!

sigh...

what about spirulina? isn't that what is in the "green monster" smoothie that odwalla makes? maybe google their ingredients.

good luck, mama.

hee...poptart...

Kathleen said...

sorry...it is called "green machine".
here is a link to the ingredients:

http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-facts/naked-juice-green-machine-all-natural-100percent-juice-smoothie-42795.htm

mrsmouthy said...

This is from Vincenzo's "National Geographic for Kids" magazine this month. We haven't tried it but we soon will!

1 banana, sliced and frozen
1 cup frozen green grapes
1 peeled kiwi
1 cup washed baby spinach
8oz lime yogurt
1/4 cup limeade