Tuesday, September 29, 2009

An American Girl


Are you familiar with the American Girl doll line? Historical dolls with extravagant accessories, at ridiculously high prices. Well, they have just released a new doll, Gwen, and she's homeless. Yes, you can now pay $95 for a homeless doll. Ironic, no? I'm wondering what kind of accessories they are going to sell for her. A cardboard box? Second hand clothing? I can see the how Gwen would be a good idea if she was used to raise money for the homeless, but that's not the case. She's simply a very expensive homeless doll. Thoughts?


7 comments:

Vickie said...

I'm sorry that's nutz!

Jenn said...

Um puke?

Sarah said...

hmmmmm... puzzling...
Maybe they are trying to sell more dolls, figuring that a good many soft-hearted little girls will want to give her a home. I dunno...

loveisonthemove said...

I think it's disgusting :( It is NOT teaching compassion or empathy to overprivileged children (which 90% of the owners of these dolls are). It's making light of a situation that is really close to my heart. I have always loved American Girl. I had one as a child and would pour over the catalog and I loved how they taught history and were positive. But this really makes me question them.

The part that doesn't sit well with me is the not giving proceeds to actually help the homeless. $95 could give a single mom a deposit for an apartment, food for a month, electricity bill, ect.

c.g. said...

They must never have seen a homeless child!

Would that all homeless kids could be dressed like Gwen!

The person(s) that thought up this idea need to do time in a homeless shelter or help at a food bank to see the real face of all the "Gwens" who must use these facilites.

Very very sad.

pk said...

SICK.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me right now? I am floored. What a terrible idea. Shame on the company for so many reasons.

Thanks for posting! Heidi