Thursday, May 28, 2009

"Hi, my name is Tricia, and I'm middle aged and fat.



In an attempt to stop the expansion of my middle, I decided not to keep any sugar in the house, thereby making it impossible for me to bake tasty treats. I lasted 3 days. I love to bake, and don't give me that, "Well you can bake, just don't eat it," garbage. All you get is a cranky cook. What I realized in my 3 day non baking spree was that, I don't have a sweet tooth so much as a fat tooth. I can forgo candy, soft drinks, even chocolate, but ice cream and cookies leave me weak in the knees. This cookie has to be one of my favorites. Its a shortbread, meaning lots of butter, and there are toasted pecans in as it well...but nuts are a healthy fat, right?

Doesn't it look like the cookies are floating in space? They're actually sitting on a dark colored plate, one of a set that Brewier bought. That's a whole other post.



Butter Pecan Cookies, ( I believe this is a Martha Stewart recipe.)

3/4 cup of pecans
1/2 cup of butter
1/3 cup of sugar plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of flour

Preheat oven to 350.
On a baking sheet toast pecans about 6 minutes. Let cool then finely chop.

With an electric mixer cream the butter and 1/3 cup of sugar until light. Beat in vanilla salt and flour. Fold in the pecans.

Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Roll in sugar and place on a cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies with a drinking glass dipped in sugar.

Bake until golden brown, rotating sheets halfway through, about 15 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I'm with you Tricia, sugar has little power over me until it is accompanied by fat.

Sarah said...

I would write down the recipe, but why bother, since I'm sure that you'll bake me some when I get there... :-) Who needs to bake when they have a friend like you!

hilltopper said...

i have a cheese tooth. is that possible?

Jenn said...

By the way you are NOT fat!!!

Just say Julie said...

I'm with you on the ice cream. And the butter. I can drop the sugar, but not the dairy!

mrsmouthy said...

Sweet pictures! Just be thankful you only have one fat tooth and not a whole mouthful of them. :)

meg.kat.art said...

i love your food photos! especially the one with the blue background. so pretty! :)