Sunday, March 29, 2009

An Alien Corpse.



Emmie and Micah were running around, playing in the back yard, and I was checking out all the freeze damage done to our landscape. Then I smelled it. Something dead. Not little like a lizzard or bird dead, but big dead like a cat or a dog. I thought it must be on the other side of the fence because I didn't find a corpse lying around, but the longer I was outside the stronger the stench became. Then Micah came up and asked me what the orange thing with the green middle was. Say what? He took and showed me someting that looked like this:



He had been poking it with a stick, and it was the source of the dead smell. I poked at it and noticed it had been hatched from what looked like and egg, and had green brown goo dripping from its fingers. Fascinating, but gross. I researched it online and found that it is called a columned stinkhorn, and pretty common in Florida. The orange parts are called the dead mans fingers, because of how they look and smell, and it does hatch out of what looks like an egg.
I am calling it the alien corpse.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

You need to read the posts on this Flickr image . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32998163@N00/370720402/

Darla said...

Those are flamingo colors I am thinking alien

Sarah said...

Ewwwwww.

Linda said...

Looks like an alien to me too. Nature can be so strange.

hilltopper said...

groooosss!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's so weird!
September

Anne said...

What is it? Is is a plant? Don't think I've ever heard of dead mens fingers.... YUK!

mrsmouthy said...

I'd love to see what you googled to find out what this thing is. "orange fingerish things + egg?"