Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Am the Canary.


Despite all of my allergy problems and continual stuffy nose, I have an acute sense of smell.
You know how really really super smart people often can't handle all the information in their brain and go crazy? My theory is that the Lord gave me sinus problems to keep me from going crazy. Instead, I just make my family and friends crazy. For example, a couple of weeks ago Brewier had a meeting to go to. I expected him to be gone for several hours, but he returned home 45 minutes after leaving. As he walked in the door, he explained to me he arrived only to find out he wasn't needed there. I gave him a hug and my nose came alive. (How weird does that sound?) I start sniffing his shirt. "Mmmmmm," sniff ,sniff, sniff, "You smell like coffee! Did someone spill coffee on you?" He looks at me disbelievingly, " No. I walked into a conference room that had a pot of coffee in it. But I was only there for a couple of minutes!" To me, it smelled like he had bathed in coffee. Then last week he stopped to drop off his $5 tux at the dry cleaners, while I waited in the car. After a couple of minutes he got back enrobed in sweetness. I said, "You smell like Juicy Fruit gum." I'm sure that's what the lady who works the counter was chewing.
Remember the show Northern Exposure? Remember the character that lived in the glass bubble house, (because he was chemically injured,) Who could step out side and smell pollution and smoke from the other side of the world?
Thats me baby.

11 comments:

mrsmouthy said...

Wow, you've got it even worse than me! Hey, can you tell what I had for lunch by reading my comment?

Meaghan said...

LOVE your heading picture!

Meaghan

Jane said...

Stand and face north. What's that weird smell under my kitchen sink? Can you guess what flavor gum I'm chewing?

Good thing you never had sons. You would die. Their socks? Nasty.

Evi said...

Coffee...one of my favorite smells. Too bad it didn't taste as perfectly awesome as it smells.

Sarah said...

I agree with Jane. Sons make your nose come alive in ways that you NEVER want it to. :-)

meg said...

I think it's awesome! You should find a way to use your powers to solve mysteries and fight crime - like Monk!

Linda said...

I don't have your problems but I do have an acute sense of smell. My husband can't believe it. Not always such a gift though.

My First Kitchen said...

How much do I love this. So great. You seriously might die if you walked into the Indian grocery store I went to yesterday; the smell almost knocked me over, so there's no telling how your magic nose would take it. And I'm so glad you guys love the butter-suckin' hot dogs. I'm all about clogging the arteries of everyone I meet. :)

Heather said...

WOW! I'll spare you and never bring my kids with their poopy diapers around.

hilltopper said...

not that its such a talent but i can always tell when i pick my kid up from the sitter whether NanNan (sitter's mom) has been there, D smells like old lady. but we do love NanNan

Sophia Avila said...

That is so funny. My husband Eric used to do mobile mortgage closings which would require him going to people's house's. I would go along and just stay in the car. One day he came out of the house, got into the car, and brought with him an overwhelming smell of fried pork. I told him he smelled like pork and he looked at me like I was crazy. "The lady was frying pork chops." The worst is when someone goes into a public bathroom and comes out smelling like one...