Friday, August 01, 2008

Are You Sure This is Florida?


Because it's August 1st, (Happy Birthday Brett!) and I sat outside this morning working on my jewelry, and I wasn't hot. We have had an unusually mild summer with more clouds and overcast skies than usual. I like it. Now if we could just have a change of season. I love wearing jackets; and if you watch "What Not to Wear," you know that a jacket makes an outfit, but there are only 10-14 days a year when its cool enough to wear one. Thats why you rarely see Clinton and Stacey in my neck of the woods. The rules are different here.



This afternoon I've been doing some experimental baking. You see, I love to bake. Love, love, love. But I am allergic to wheat, dairy and sugar, along with a gazillion other things, so today I tried making wheat free, sugar free, dairy free, blueberry muffins. This was my recipe.

1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup coconut flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds mixed with water (egg replacement)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup soy milk
1 cup of blueberries

Now, I've never baked with coconut flour before, but I had a bag in the freezer so why not give it a try. Megan had made chocolate chip cookies using coconut flour and they were really good. I have to tell you it was so strange to work with because no matter how much soy milk I poured in, I never got batter. The coconut flour just kept soaking up all the liquid! I decided to try and mush it together with my hands and it felt like a sponge, very weird indeed. I put handfuls into my muffin tins and smashed it down a bit, then put them in the oven to bake. They never did rise, nor did they brown. The sad little crumbly things look like this.



But they taste amazing! No, not really, in fact they are pretty much inedible.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I am sorry:( It's hard to bake without all of that other stuff. I will just pray that God heals you of all of your allergies!!! Thank you for my Southern Living Stuff. I haven't had a moment to open. Moving moving moving!!! We'll have a cook out soon! (It's a salt water pool!)

Sarah said...

So sorry about your sad little muffin cookies. But happy about the weather! Our summer is also unseasonably mild. Hmmmm Florida and Montana having the same type weather? Wierd.