Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Rainstick.


It was somewhere between 15-20 years ago, we were out shopping as a family and came across a gift shop that carried rainsticks. Made of some kind of dried cactus or wood, I'm not sure which, I loved them and the sound they made. What I didn't like was the price. I think they were about 30 dollars, so I left the store empty handed. What I got instead, was so much better than anything I could have ever purchased. Jessica, (what were you five or six?) took a paper towel tube, tissue paper, toothpicks and rice and made me this rain stick, that I still have.

Photobucket

Photobucket

From the time she could hold a pencil and a pair of scissors, Jessica , (who doesn't think of herself as creative!) would craft things. I remember when she was 3 and a half and realized that with a little paper and tape, she could make a 3 dimensional object, of anything. She spent days making little tables, chairs, boxes, trees, flowers.... everything she saw, she made a model of. I wish I had saved them.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I forgot about my rainstick!

I completely remember making EVERYTHING out of paper. Who needed a doll house when you could make your own? I remember once, in Kentcuky, I couldn't find my retainer case so I made one out of paper! (I doubt it held up for very long)

Kimberly said...

If you want to try something fun that REALLY sounds like a rain stick, I have a project for you. We made them in Cub Scouts using a PVC pipe and nails. It was a 2" pipe with tiny holes drilled into it, so that nails would go in easier. Put your rice inside and then cap it off with PVC caps. It sounds so cool. We made them about 4 or 5 feet long and they were awesome!